Celebrating our 2021
With 2021 drawing to a close, we wanted to share some brief reflections and highlights from this dizzying and incredible year with you all.
Four years ago, we were a small, ragtag crew of three organizers driving around the state, listening to people’s stories, wondering if it was possible to build multi-racial, working class power. We had just finished our first two workshops — one in the UP, the other in Detroit — where people came to learn, build relationships and launch campaigns.
As we look back to reflect, we’re so grateful for the indomitable spirit of people in every corner of this state.
Four years later, we’re a powerful statewide, people-led organization with a clear North Star: building a multi-racial, working class democracy and a fair, humane economy that allows every Michigander to thrive, regardless of race, income, or zip code.
And looking back at this past year, we’ve got a lot to show for it:
- Drive Michigan Forward: Our incredible organizers are building power to make Michigan a place where everyone can obtain a driver’s license, regardless of what documents we have. With the Drive SAFE bills (Safety, Access, Freedom and the Economy), we’re close. Get involved here.
- Democracy: Our amazing Detroit crew ran a robust canvass operation through We The People Michigan PAC that: 1) helped shift local power toward progressives and 2) elected our very own Gaby Santiago-Romero to City Council in District 6.
- Justice in our Schools: Our children deserve an education that’s honest about who we are, and allows them to pursue their dreams. We’re so proud of our Northern MI fam, who showed up 150 strong in a school board room this summer to ensure every child can learn the truth about our nation’s history of racism and inequality, and how we can create a healthy democracy where everyone thrives. Then statewide, we worked with partners to host our first Youth Organizing Summit, coming together to meet one another, learn together, and build a visionary intergenerational agenda for Michigan.
- Build Back Better: We all want our families to thrive for generations to come. That’s why we need the BBB Act to address the climate and housing crises, while creating millions of good jobs and healthy neighborhoods for all of our families.
- Workshops: And we’re still hosting those workshops! We held three this year and trained 80 leaders in Macomb County, Benton Harbor, and across the UP. In Benton Harbor, a heroic group of organizers launched a campaign, with everyday folks building power to create a city where everyone, not just the wealthy, thrives.
These are just a few snapshots of how our people showed up for each other to fight for the future we all deserve in 2021. We know that together, we can finally make Michigan a place where everyone lives with dignity and joy, no exceptions.
We’d love your support for our continued work with an end of the year donation. You can contribute to We The People Michigan or We The People Action Fund here.
We hope the rest of this year is kind to you and your folks. We can’t wait to see you in the new year and continue building the world we deserve.
Happy New Year fam, and solidarity forever,
Art Reyes III
We The People Michigan & We The People Action Fund
As a bonus, please enjoy these tunes selected by our very stylish and rhythmic staff:
SUPERBLOOM by MisterWives’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3gjE3zIIs
All You Fascists Bound to Lose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWUa7aAIfLE
Madre Tierra (Oye) by Chayanne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkuRIZ7QyDM
Lovely Day by Bill Withers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s6VbOEnsgk